– MCCD is always looking for ways to contribute to our community! Outside of our grant projects, we also aid the community in various projects at their request. Have a conservation project idea? Fill out our Donation Request Form to let us know! We contribute funds, plants, and staff time to many projects in the area.
Here are some of our recent community projects:
– Powell Township School Pollinator Garden : The students and teachers at Powell Township School reached out to MCCD with interest in starting their own educational pollinator program. MCCD staff gave 2 educational pollinator lessons to the students, and donated plants for their very own pollinator garden! We then helped students plant their garden, and each season our field crew maintains the garden.
– UPAWS Pollinator Garden: In 2023, we donated 10lbs of native wildflower seed to UPAWS for their 1 acre pollinator garden. This project will add important habitat to the area.
– Iron Ore Heritage Trail: We are excited to be working with IOHT to expand pollinator habitat along the trail! This past season, we treated invasives at their kiln site in Marquette, and added a small pollinator garden. We aim to add pollinator gardens to the IOHT each season.
– Partridge Creek Compost: We are very excited to be working with Partridge Creek Compost to ensure their efforts to establish composting in the area are successful! We have been able to partner with PCC by joining together to host compost workshops throughout the county, and by funding their pilot curbside compost program.